Sunday, July 25, 2010

If I can't fire my kiln think I'll Dye!





Same old fire hazard rating. The wind hasn't stopped blowing for months it seems. I have a load of pots ready to meet the fire, however.....not that keen on starting the bush on fire so will just have to wait a bit. In the meantime there are other things to do.
Here we are in the wood shop in the school in Carcross. The pottery area is also in there.Because we are a community school the local people can use the facilities. People come in to plane wood, cut boards, make picture frames etc. using the school equipment. All our pottery stuff actually belongs to the local Rec. board. We have no other place to use it so it is in the school. They pay the power and the heat. Thank you to the Dept. of Education! Of course the school gets the benefit of using it for the classes. Also the Rec. buys all the clay and glazes we use for school. It all works out fine.
Today I held a rainbow dyeing workshop in there. We had a crazy time! First one of the microwaves kept tripping the breaker. Pulled the plug from one of the wheels and moved it, worked fine. Too much laughing! Lots of really good colour combination's made up. I think all the participants were happy with their yarn. In fact we are doing it again next month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Claudia...the pottery and the dying workshops are truly amazing as you are!!! I must say though that I really think it is time that you have a new teachers pet.....I am however sorry that you did not post the picture of you....maybe next time!!!

brenda