Sunday, June 8, 2008

Snow in June




Woke up this morning to a big surprise-2 inches of heavy, fat snow. It started raining at 4:30 am so I went out and took the sheets off all my baby plants that were overnighting outside. I fell back asleep and when I woke again couldn't hear any rain-I thought it was our normal 'rain freckles' where we get 5 minutes rain. Not quite.....ran out in my yard shoes and a bathrobe and put all 20 flats back into the greenhouse. The snow melted off of them and there wasn't any damage. All the cabbage family, celery transplants and the seed stuff that has started were also okay. The night before I had put dirt over all the potatoes that had their heads up, so they were fine. Of course yesterday I took all the begonias out to the deck, geraniums out of the house for their summer holiday. Oh we love Global Warming in the Yukon. Looks like this will be our 3rd cold summer in a row. Always a challenge to garden up here!

No comments: