Friday, February 8, 2008

Back to School


This is the space I have to teach my pottery classes at the school in Carcross. These kids are some of the afterschool regulars. There haven't been too many kids this week as it was about -29c at 3pm. Much too cold for them to walk home. During the school classes I give them a project to work on, but afterschool they can make whatever they want. Sometimes it gets a bit wild in there when all the little boys make their clay armies, tanks, bunkers etc and proceed to play war. They have a great time! When it is all over they ball up their clay, put it in the bag with some damp sponges and in a couple of days it will be ready for the next game. They have also made huge ships, pirates and sea monsters on the table at the rear of the picture (it is the ocean). I bet they have the most fun when they smash everything up at the end!
Although this isn't the best equiped or largest space, it fits perfectly. The largest group is the 4-5-6 class with 14 students. Our school only has 50 kids. They range in age from 4 to 15. I feel very honoured to be able to work with them. I think I have as much fun as they do.

No comments: